How To Get A New Social Security Card In Colorado

Posted On January 27, 2016 / By Manning Law / Personal Injury

From time to time, claims adjusters ask for documents like your social security card. A surprising number of people end up losing the little piece of paper that contains their information. We thought we’d help out by putting together a quick guide to replacing your social security card.

TIP: The Social Security Administration is currently in the process of migrating to a paper-less system. Soon you’ll be able to request a replacement card online.

Personal Injury Attorney New Social Security Card System

Until the new system includes Colorado data, you’ll need to fill out form SS-5-FS. Whether you’re applying for your first card, or looking for a replacement, this is the form you’ll need.

The form itself asks for some fairly basic information. You’ll need to list out your full name, (and if you’re looking for a new card, your existing social security number) and birthdate as well as your place of birth and information about your parents. The one page form shouldn’t take very long to fill out.

In addition to the form, you’ll need to provide a few different types of documents to verify your age, identity and citizenship.

To provide the SSA with Evidence of Age, you can submit:

  • U.S. hospital record of your birth:
  • Religious record established before age five showing your age or date of birth
  • Passport
  • Final Adoption Decree

To provide the SSA with Evidence of Identity, you’ll need to furnish:

  • U.S. driver’s license; or
  • U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or
  • U.S. passport

The SSA may also accept some alternative documents like a U.S. military ID card, a health insurance card, an employee identity card, a certified copy of medical record, a Medicaid card or a school identity card/record. These documents are accepted at the discretion of the SSA, so it’s a good idea to have one of the three that they ask for specifically.

To verify U.S. Citizenship you’ll need to provide the SSA with:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Consular Report of Birth
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization

When you complete your form and assemble your documents, you’ll want to visit any Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate. If you live or work on a U.S. military post, you may even be able to bring your packet to the Post Adjutant or Personnel Office. They’ll be able to help you get a new social security card right away.